Book Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


Synopsis

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. 
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart. (Goodreads.com)





Title: The Iron King
Series: The Iron Fey Series (Book 1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: YA Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Faery
Published: February 1, 2010
My Rate:  


I have been meaning to read this for awhile. I love stories of fey and such, and every fantasy story that doesn't deal with vamps and wolves too, I guess. I liked that this made use of real elements, much like how Percy Jackson and The Midnighters (to mention a few) did. Mostly it was the great plot, the characters and adventure that kept me going. The writing was good and belong to the upper pile of its genre. I am proud to announce that my most prevalent favor of late is merited to Feys. I'm sad that these awesome mythical creatures dont get as much cinema attention like wolves, vampires and even ogres (hello, shrek ) do. Anyway I'm so happy I took the time in reading this series! It's so interesting and well crafted!

The characters were quite likeable. I'm majorly rooting for Ash but dont hate Puck. (which is a miracle because I NEVER like both guys in the same book.) I like Meghan too, she's strong and vulnerable at the same time and I just cant help but like her. The connections between Puck and Meghan and Ash were strong even from when they were first introduced. And although the characters need developing, hey, this is a series, ain't it?

The pacing was just right. I'm surprised how the author managed not to drag it although I know its tempting to do so. The romance was rightly paced too. I sigh and I'm usually wanting more. But I think the ending perfectly satiates that. I loved the beginning, the conclusion this book had and everything in between.

If there was one thing that made this book deviate from perfect it would be the spoiler chapter titles. Seriously?! I knew what was gonna happen twice because I saw the titles! Sigh. But other than that, this book is captivating, the world Kagawa crafted is captivating and mind blowing. This is surely a read no one should rid their YA Fantasy shelf of.

No comments:

Post a Comment