Book Review: Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


     Synopsis

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited? (Goodreads.com)


Title: Anna and the French Kiss 
Series: N/A 
Author: Stephanie Perkins 
Genre: YA Fiction, Romance, Contemporary 
Published: December 2, 2010
My Rate:  ♥♡♡

 Okay, so the storyline... well, let me just say it wasn't what caught my attention. I wasn't too thrilled about the title either. It was the glowing recommendation a friend of mine gave for this book that got me to start chewing on them pages. So anywho, when I read the plotline I knew this was going to be as realistic as a functional time machine. I mean, come on? Anna's a happy kid shipped off to a boarding school with a great background in everything priss. Worst, the prissy school's in Paris and she's got a major crush on a professing American with a French name and an English accent who's in a dying and unhappy relationship.

I'm irritated that Anna doesn't want to be in Paris while a kazillion of other girls do but aren't (myself included) and she sulks about it and describes her "misfortune" to us in paragraphs. Sigh. Well, moving on.

 The plot was mediocre and I think you might demand to know why I pressed on even with the synopsis and first few paragraphs already telling me that this wouldn't be the best teen plotline ever. So before that happens, I was actually waiting for a WOW moment (that, you might have guessed, didn't come). But even so, I continued with the book because the writing and Etienne St. Clair held my interest. I'm 18, pass the hormonal age in my opinion, and Etienne got me bouncing and giggling in some parts of the book. My favorite conversation:


“Soap?"
"School of America in Paris" he explains. "SOAP".
Nice. My father sent me here to be cleansed.

 I didn't understand the cinema talks but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The conversations between Etienne and Anna were also quite funny and the struggling French really elevated my security because I am not the only one in the world. Anyway, the lines in this book reminded me of John Green and I'm looking forward to reading more of this author in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment